This document provides HR Partners (HRPs) directions on how to contract a contingent worker in Workday.
Not what you are looking for? Use the button below to visit our Library and find the information you need!
|Library of Workday Knowledge Base Articles
· There must be an approved unfilled position with appropriate attributes available in the supervisory organization in which the contingent worker will be contracted.
· Contingent workers cannot receive pay in Workday.
· The information required to complete the process in Workday is:
· The title of the position for the contingent worker.
· Contingent worker’s legal name and contact information.
· When hiring someone with a diacritical mark in their name (such as tildes (ñ), umlauts (ü), or acute accents (á), etc.), do not use these marks when entering the worker’s name in Workday. Although Workday does accommodate the use of special characters, downstream systems on campus will not be able to process them, causing adverse impacts and preventing records from being processed in Payroll. A hyphen being included as part of a name is an acceptable character in Workday.
· Any academic appointment information if the contingent worker will have one.
· Start and end date of the contract (if applicable).
· Scheduled weekly hours.
· Costing allocation details (FAS Account/Sub Account – soon to be known as COA/POETAF).
· Chicago ID.
· The UCAT Prefeed website should be used to find or create Chicago IDs for new hires. It is a good idea to search in UCAT for the Chicago ID before creating a new one, because new hires may already have a Chicago ID in UCAT.
1. Log into Workday using your CNET ID and password.
2. Find the supervisory organization where the unfilled position resides. To do so, type in the prefix org: and the name of the supervisory organization in the search box at the top of the screen, and then press the Enter key. A list of results associated with your search criteria will populate. Select the desired result.
3. From the Supervisory Organization screen, select the Related Actions icon (the icon made of a small rectangle with three dots in the middle) to the right of the organization’s name to display the menu of available Actions. Hover over Hire and select Contract Contingent Worker.
4. The Contract Contingent Worker dialog box will pop up.
a. Confirm the correct supervisory organization is listed. Use the Hamburger Menu (the icon with 3 dots and 3 dashes) to the right of the Supervisory Organization prompt box to select a different organization if needed.
b. Select the appropriate option button: Existing Pre-Hire or Create a New Pre-Hire.
i. If choosing the first option, utilize the Hamburger Menu to the right of the corresponding prompt box to find an existing pre-hire. If multiple people are listed with the same name, select the Related Actions icon next to the name of the pre-hire to verify the email address.
ii. If selecting the Create Pre-Hire option, choose OK to continue, and fill out the fields. Fields identified with a red asterisk are required for submission.
1. Under the Legal Name Information tab, enter the First Name and Last Name.
a. If another pre-hire already exists with the same name and is available for hire, an error will occur. Check the Allow Duplicate Name box to create this pre-hire with the duplicate name.
2. Under the Contact Information tab, scroll to the Email section, select the Add button, enter the email address, and choose the Type (either Home or Work).
a. The contingent worker will be given the opportunity to review and update their contact information during the Onboarding tasks, which occur later in the Contract Contingent Worker process.
c. Select OK.
5. The Contract Contingent Worker screen will show up.
a. Type in or use the calendar icon to select the Contract Start Date. Then, use the Hamburger Menu to the right of the Reason field to indicate why the contingent worker is being contracted if the field hasn't already auto populated.
i. The Earliest Hire Date for the position must be before the actual Contract Start Date selected.
b. Go to the Job Details section and select the Position using the Hamburger Menu to the right of the prompt box.
i. After the position is selected, the Contingent Worker Type, Job Profile, Time Type and Location automatically populate. This content appears highlighted in gray. Review the information to confirm accuracy and make changes if needed.
ii. If the office, cubicle, lab, or other campus area where the contingent worker will be working is known, complete the Work Space field. This information can be modified later, once the Contract Contingent Worker process is complete. Please refer to the Managing Work Location in Workday Knowledge Base Article to review instructions on how to do it.
c. Go to the Contract Details section and fill out any fields in this area that are relevant to the specific contract or contingent worker.
i. Type in or use the calendar icon to select the Contract End Date if applicable.
d. Scroll down to the Working Time section and enter the Default Weekly Hours and the Scheduled Weekly Hours. Ensure they are updated accurately to calculate the correct FTE (Full-Time Equivalent).
i. Default Weekly Hours represent full-time hours at the University of Chicago. Default Weekly Hours should either be 37.5 (for salary employees) or 40 (for hourly employees).
ii. Scheduled Weekly Hours reflect the number of hours a contingent worker is scheduled to work each week.
e. Select the small blue arrow to the left of the Additional Details section header to expand this segment and review and update the information if applicable.
f. To attach supporting documentation, scroll down to the Attachment section at the bottom of the screen. Start uploading documents either by choosing Select Files and selecting the appropriate file from your computer, or by dragging and dropping the file into the gray box. To insert additional documents, select Upload and add appropriate files. If an incorrect document is mistakenly uploaded, select the Trash Can icon.
g. Select Submit to continue.
6. A dialog box pops up with the next task (Change Organization Assignments) to complete. Select Open.
a. If the dialog box disappears, select the Mail icon in the top-right corner of the page, and further select the Assign Organizations: Contract task on the left side of the screen.
7. The Change Organization Assignments screen will show up next.
a. Review the information listed in the Organizations section and select the Pencil icon to modify any of the fields if necessary.
i. If UChicago HRMS Department account is not defaulted as desired, please update.
ii. If the worker is affiliated with an established external organization (i.e., Argonne, Fermi Lab, Marine Biological Lab, etc.), please indicate it in the Affiliated Organization field.
iii. Check FAS Account and FAS Sub Account (soon to be known as COA & POETAF) for accuracy. enter ONE FAS Account and ONE FAS Sub Account at this point as these accounts will be the default accounts for the position. The opportunity to enter additional accounts or overrides will occur during the Assign Costing Allocations step.
iv. If applicable, enter one or more values in the Time and Absence Management Handling field. Refer to the Changing Organization Assignments in Workday Knowledge Base Article for details on completing this field.
b. Select Submit.
8. A dialog box pops up with the next task (Edit Other IDs) to complete. Select Open.
a. If the dialog box disappears, select the Mail icon in the top-right corner of the page, and further select the Edit Other IDs task on the left side of the screen.
9. The Edit Other IDs screen will display.
a. Go to the Proposed IDs section and insert a new row by selecting the Plus (+) icon under the column Other IDs.
i. Select Chicago ID as the Other ID Type, and paste the Chicago ID found and/or created in UCAT into the Identification # field.
1. To create or search for a Chicago ID, go to the UCAT Prefeed website.
b. Select Approve.
10. If the Contingent Worker Type is Academic Affiliate, the Add Academic Appointment step will appear at this point. For detailed information regarding this task, review the Managing Academic Appointments in Workday Knowledge Base Article.
11. The process will be routed to the contingent worker to complete the Onboarding tasks in Workday. These tasks may vary depending on the type of contingent worker. However, at a minimum, they will include Enter Personal Information, Enter Contact Information and Change Emergency Contacts.
a. Contingent workers will receive a notification from Workday at the email address they provided. This notification will include information on how to activate their CNET ID, along with instructions for logging into Workday to complete the Onboarding tasks.