Not what you are looking for? Use the button below to visit our Library and find the information you need!
|Library of Workday Knowledge Base Articles
· Withholding elections can be updated at any time.
· You may need to reference the individual state W-4 form on your state or local website. The University is not registered in all states and if your state is not available, we cannot report and withhold taxes at this time.
1. Log into Workday using your CNET ID and password.
2. Click Menu in the top-left corner and select the Pay application.
3. Under Actions select Withholding Elections.
4. Within the Withholding Elections page there are four tabs where you can view and update the below elections.
a. Federal Elections
i. Select Update.
ii. On the Complete Federal Elections screen, review the help text and enter an Effective Date. The effective date cannot be in the past. Click OK.
iii. Review the help text and then scroll to the W-4 Data section. Complete the Federal W-4 form by updating the following sections where applicable:
· Step 1: Marital Status – use the hamburger menu to select your marital status.
· Step 2: Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works – checkmark this box if you (1) hold more than one job at a time, or (2) are married filing jointly and your spouse also works.
· Step 3: Claim Dependents – enter in the Number of Qualifying Children Under Age 17 and the Number of Other Dependents. The Override Total Dependent Amount field will auto-populate for you.
a. An Other Dependent is when you are the legal guardian of another individual who does not qualify for the Child Tax Credit. (i.e., a disabled sibling or parent, etc.)
· Step 4: Other Adjustments – this step is optional. If applicable, enter in (a) Other Income (not from jobs), (b) Deductions, and (c) Extra Withholding. Checkmark if you are Exempt from federal income tax and checkmark if you are a Nonresident Alien.
· Step 5: Legal Notice – checkmark the I Agree box to confirm the accuracy of the information being submitted.
b. State Elections
i. Select Update.
ii. On the Complete State and Local Withholding Elections screen, review the help text and enter an Effective Date (cannot be in the past), select the State you work in, and the Withholding Form Type. Click OK.
iii. Scroll to the state-specific W-4 Data section (i.e. Illinois IL-W-4 Data) to enter Basic Allowances, Additional Allowances, and Additional Amount.
iv. Checkmark if you are Exempt from state and local income tax.
v. Review the Legal Notice and checkmark the I Agree box to confirm the accuracy of the information being submitted.
c. Local Elections
i. Process is the same as State Elections; please see above.
d. Tax Allocations
i. Not applicable for The University of Chicago at this time.