This document provides HR Partners (HRPs) directions on how to update position attributes in preparation to utilize it for a new hire.
Not what you are looking for? Use the button below to visit our Library and find the information you need!
|Library of Workday Knowledge Base Articles
· As of June 28, 2021, all UChicago staff, seasonal, and temporary staff positions must have an associated job requisition in order to complete the Hire, Add Additional Job, or Change Job processes.
· If a position has an effective job requisition, its attributes CANNOT be updated using the Edit Position Restrictions business process. Use the job requisition to manage hiring requirements and qualifications.
· Position Management is a staffing model that UChicago has adopted, and it allows for the tracking of unfilled, filled, closed, and frozen positions.
· It is important to remember that a position exists in Workday independent of a worker.
· HRPs, Lead HR Partners, and Academic HR Partners can initiate the Edit Position Restrictions process.
· Run the report RPT Open Positions with Previous Incumbent to find unfilled positions that are available to edit before creating a new position.
· Key attributes assigned to a position include the Supervisory Organization, Earliest Hire Date, Availability Date, Job Family, Job Profile, Location, Time Type, Worker Type, Worker Sub-Type and UChicago HRMS Department.
· All positions must be assigned an FAS Account and FAS Sub Account (soon to be known as COA & POETAF). These accounts may be overridden once costing allocations are completed in the Hire, Add Additional Job, or Change Job business processes.
· The Earliest Hire Date and Availability Date of a position, as well as the Supervisory Organization, cannot be edited once the position is created. All other attributes can be changed via the Edit Position Restrictions business process.
· There must be an approved unfilled position with appropriate attributes available in the supervisory organization to hire a new employee.
· For job sharing, each employee must sit in a separate position. Each position will need to be listed with the appropriate attributes (i.e., part-time instead of full-time).
· The Unavailable to Fill tab in the Supervisory Organization profile screen will display all positions that are in a closed or frozen status, any positions that are scheduled to be filled on a future date and positions that have an Availability Date in the future. Positions listed in this tab will not be available for HRPs/Academic HR Partners to act on. If there are no positions in the Supervisory Organization that are in an Unavailable to Fill status, the tab will not display.
· Staff positions will be closed if they remain vacant for more than six months. All other positions do not expire and will remain in the supervisory organization until an action is taken that would cause them to be removed from the organization.
· Positions can be moved from one supervisory organization to another through the Move Workers (Supervisory) business process. Closing a position is a permanent action and will cause the position to move from the Staffing tab in the supervisory organization screen to the Unavailable to Fill tab. A position can also be frozen. Freezing a position is a temporary action and can be scheduled indefinitely, or for a set period of time. See the following Knowledge Base Article for more information: Closing a Position in Workday, Freezing a Position in Workday, and Moving Workers in Workday.
· To see where the Edit Position Restrictions business process is sitting, navigate to the Archive tab of the Inbox and choose any of the tasks, related to the process, that have been submitted. The View Event screen will display. In the Overall Process field, select Edit Position Restrictions: Position Title and go to the Process tab where the details of the business process history (including the step, the status, and the person who is assigned to the task) will be displayed.
· To view all the positions in a supervisory organization, run the report View All Positions. To do so type in View All Positions in the search box at the top of the screen and select the suggested report that appears below the search box.
1. Log into Workday using your CNET ID and password.
2. Find the supervisory organization in which the position will sit. To do so, type in the prefix org: and the name of the supervisory organization in the search box at the top of the screen, and then press the Enter key. A list of results associated with the search criteria will populate. Select the desired result.
3. From the Supervisory Organization screen, select the Staffing tab to display open positions.
4. Find the position to update under the section Positions without Job Requisition, select the Related Actions icon (the icon made of a small rectangle with three dots in the middle) to the right of the position’s name, hover over Position Restrictions and choose Edit Position Restrictions.
5. The Edit Position Restrictions screen is next.
a. In the Position Change Reason prompt box, choose the option Edit Position > Edit Restrictions, and modify any of the fields under the Hiring Restrictions tab as needed.
i. Don’t forget that the Earliest Hire Date and Availability Date of a position cannot be changed.
ii. The Job Description Summary field should not be changed.
iii. If the position is in a filled status, the changes will only take effect once the position becomes unfilled or once the Change Job business process has been completed (if editing the Time Type field for a filled position in which an employee is changing FTE (Full-Time Equivalent)).
b. Once necessary changes have been made, select Submit.
6. After submitting the Edit Position Restrictions task, a dialog box will pop up with the next task (Change Organization Assignments) to complete. Select Open.
a. If the dialog box disappears, select the Mail icon in the top-right corner of the page, and then select the Assign Organizations: Edit Position Restrictions task on the left side of the screen.
7. The Change Organization Assignments screen will display.
a. Review the information listed in the Organizations section and select the Pencil icon to modify any of the fields if necessary.
i. If UChicago HRMS Department account is not defaulted as desired, please update.
ii. If the worker is affiliated with an established external organization (i.e., Argonne, Fermi Lab, Marine Biological Lab, etc.), please indicate it in the Affiliated Organization field.
iii. Enter FAS Account and FAS Sub Account (soon to be known as COA and POETAF). Enter ONE FAS Account and ONE FAS Sub Account at this point as these accounts will be the default accounts for the position. The opportunity to enter additional accounts or overrides will occur during the Assign Costing Allocations step of the Hire, Add Additional Job, or Change Job business processes.
iv. If applicable, enter one or more values in the Time and Absence Management Handling field. Refer to the Changing Organization Assignments in Workday Knowledge Base Article for details on completing this field.
b. Select Submit.
i. For student positions, the business process is complete once the Change Organization Assignments task is submitted.
8. A dialog box will pop up with the next task (Request Default Compensation for Position Event) to complete. Select Open.
a. If the dialog box disappears, select the Refresh button on the top-left side of the Inbox page or select the Mail icon in the top-right corner of the page, and then choose the Default Compensation task on the left side of the screen.
i. Assigning default compensation to the position is not required, but it can be used for budgeting purposes. To skip this step, select the Skip button when the dialog box with the task pops up, or navigate to the Inbox, choose the Default Compensation task, select the Gear icon at the top-right side of the screen, and further select Skip this Task.
1. Skip this task for positions that will be paid using a Period Activity Pay. See the Managing Period Activity Pay Assignments in Workday Knowledge Base article for more information.
9. The Default Compensation Change screen will display.
a. Review all fields in the Compensation section to confirm accuracy and make changes if needed using the Pencil icon.
i. Do not edit the Guidelines segment, because it displays the pay grade and is autogenerated by job profile.
1. If offering a pay rate that is outside (below or above) of the Total Base Pay Range, provide justification in the Comment box. HR-Compensation will review justification for pay rates that are outside of their base pay range.
ii. Exempt job profiles can ONLY have a Salary compensation plan. Non-exempt job profiles can ONLY have an Hourly compensation plan.
1. If entering compensation for a worker in the Salary plan, enter a monthly amount. If entering compensation for a worker in the Hourly plan, enter an hourly amount.
a. Only edit the Amount, do not change the Currency or the Frequency.
b. The City of Chicago’s Minimum Wage is $15.80 as of 7/1/2023. Any hourly paid worker cannot be given a rate below this amount.
2. For fixed term employees, enter an Expected End Date. To do so, go either to the Salary or to the Hourly section (depending on the job profile), and select the small blue arrow to the left of the Additional Details header to expand this segment and add the information.
b. The default compensation can be modified later during the Hire, Add Additional Job, or Change Job business processes.
c. After the review and editing is complete, select Approve.
10. At this point, the process is routed to the Budget Partner for approval. Once the proposed compensation is approved, the Edit Position Restrictions business process is complete This DOES NOT apply to staff, seasonal, and temporary staff positions. For these positions ONLY, the Create Job Requisition task will appear in the Inbox. Select the Mail icon in the top-right corner of the page to go to the Inbox and find this task on the left side of the screen.
a. A job requisition is required for all UChicago staff, seasonal, and temporary staff positions. Select the Create Job Requisition button and follow the prompts to complete the process. Once the requisition is created, return to the Create Job Requisition task in the Inbox, and select Submit. For step-by-step instructions, refer to the Creating a Job Requisition and Position in Workday Knowledge Base Article.