This document provides HR Partners (HRPs) directions on how to find and view supervisory organizations and org charts in Workday.
Not what you are looking for? Use the button below to visit our Library and find the information you need!
|Library of Workday Knowledge Base Articles
· Supervisory Organizations group employees into a management hierarchy. All faculty, other academic appointees, staff, students, temporary/seasonal, and contingent workers must be hired into a supervisory organization.
· This document is applicable exclusively to those supervisory organizations that the HRP can access. If the HRP does not have a role associated with a particular supervisory organization, that organization will not be viewable in Workday.
· Depending on the HRP’s role access, some of the features discussed in this document may not be available. If a change in role access is required, please contact the Service Desk at (773) 702-5800, or submit a Workday Role Security Request.
1. Log into Workday using your CNET ID and password.
2. Find the supervisory organization by typing in the prefix org: and the name of the supervisory organization in the search box at the top of the screen, and then press the Enter key. A list of results associated with your search criteria will populate. Select the desired result.
a. While typing in the name of the supervisory organization, suggested organizations display underneath the search box.
b. For details on how to use prefixes, review the Workday Search Prefixes Knowledge Base Article.
3. When the desired organization has been selected, the Supervisory Organization profile screen will appear.
a. The following information will be displayed in the section immediately below the organization’s name:
i. The Type of organization.
ii. The Organization ID.
iii. The Superior Organization, which is the organization that is higher in the hierarchy.
iv. The Subordinates, which are organizations that fall under the supervisory organization in the hierarchy. Subordinate organizations may also have their own set of subordinate organizations, creating a multi-level hierarchy. If a supervisory organization has more than five subordinates, this field will be labeled as Subordinates (first 5).
b. The Details tab will show general information about the organization, such as the Availability Date, Type, Subtype, Code, Visibility, Top Level, Superior organization, Subordinates, and Primary Location (if one has been designated).
c. The Members tab will show all individuals who hold a position in the selected organization, including their names, phone numbers, emails, and locations, provided this information is available.
d. The Staffing tab displays any open positions within the organization that are currently available to be filled. If there are no open positions, this tab will not be visible.
e. The Unavailable to Fill tab will display all positions that are in a closed or frozen status, any positions that are scheduled to be filled on a future date and positions that have an Availability Date in the future. Positions listed in this tab will not be available for HRPs to act on. If there are no unavailable positions, the tab will not display.
f. The Roles and Security Groups tabs will show everyone with any kind of role on this organization, including Managers, HR Partners, Budget Partners, etc.
g. The Organization Assignments tab will display the default organization assignments for the selected supervisory organization, if any. These may include elements such as the UChicago HRMS Department, default FAS account, and default FAS Sub Account (soon to be known as COA & POETAF), among others. These default assignments will automatically populate the Change Organization Assignments task when creating positions in this organization.
4. To view an interactive org chart of the supervisory organization, select the Related Actions icon (the icon made of a small rectangle with three dots in the middle) to the right of the organization’s name, hover over Organization and choose Org Chart.
a. The org chart will be displayed in a tree format, with the Manager positioned at the top and linked to all their direct reports.
i. Managers are represented in boxes highlighted with an orange stripe at the top. The name of the supervisory organization they manage is displayed above the box. If they have direct reports, a small orange circle with a number inside it indicates the count of individual contributors and open positions. If they do not have any direct reports, no orange circle with a number will be present.
ii. Individual contributors are represented in boxes highlighted with a blue stripe at the top. Each box lists the employee's name, job profile, and location.
iii. Open positions also appear in boxes highlighted with a blue stripe at the top. These boxes will display the position number and title.
iv. The Menu icon, located in the upper left-hand corner of the Org Chart screen, can be used to filter the chart. This includes options to show or hide contingent workers and/or open positions.
v. Navigate through the organizational hierarchy by selecting the Up Arrows or Down Arrows to move superior or subordinate organizations, respectively.
vi. To export the org chart to an Excel, PDF, or PowerPoint file, select the Print icon situated on the right-hand corner of the Org Chart screen.